Pages

Friday, March 4, 2016

Through It All, Grace


It's difficult to know where to begin with something like this, something that's so important to me. Best just to begin.

My sister is my best friend.  With her being 10 years older, I adored her growing up.  I still do. I can still taste the perfume and hairspray when I think back to standing in the bathroom while she and her college friends got ready to go out. I was in awe of her; my beautiful, funnier-than-anyone-I've-ever-known older sister. When she became a mother, it was like watching someone slip into a pair of vintage jeans - the style is a classic, worn a million times, but this pair was meant just for her. Max was born, and she was meant to be his mom.

Max changed everything. I've been around kids my entire life, but I'd never been an aunt before. Here was this tiny being, this little guy who so closely resembled a wrinkled, old man, and he was ours.  He was mine to love.

Max got older and his sweet, hilarious personality began to develop. He loved elephants and he called them "eldedah" until he lost his language around the age of two. That's when he was diagnosed with autism.

The experience of Max's diagnosis and his subsequent journey have increased my capacity to love; I have infinitely more empathy and compassion than I did before. Max makes me a better person.  The experience has changed us all and brought us into a community of fighters, warriors, parents who will go to the ends of the earth for their kids.  My sister is one of these people. 

Some days are ugly.  Some days will bring you to your knees.  But it's in those days that I see she has become the person she was always meant to be - fierce, courageous, stronger than she even realizes. She would move mountains for this child, for this community, for the chance at the best life possible for her son and each person affected by autism.

Through it all, my sister stands.

And it's those times that make the good days that much sweeter. Days that are so beautiful your heart rips into a thousand pieces.  His laugh that makes it all worth it.

You look around and know, this is what matters. This is what is important, and this is where I can invest my heart and my best work.  I have seen my family pull strength from untapped places.  I have encountered some of the most remarkable kids I've ever met, whose capacity for love and life is bottomless, regardless of their ability to communicate with words. We have hope.  Now we are working toward something more.

My sister and her mother started Eldedah as a tribute to Max and his love of elephants.  Eldedah is creating tee shirts, a portion of whose sale will be donated to organizations that tangibly assist families within the autism community with money for services, appointments, tools, resources, etc.  It's one thing to be aware of autism, but that's no longer enough.  The goal now is to do something to substantially benefit this community and make a positive impact. 

That is what Eldedah is all about. Helping Max reach his fullest potential.  Helping this beautiful, amazing community.  Sharing our story and opening our lives to people so that maybe, even at its smallest impact, people might be a little bit more compassionate toward others; a little bit more open minded about other people's differences; a little bit more aware of the beauty in life's little victories. And at its basest level, they're some pretty kick-ass shirts.  






It is an honor to be involved in this passion project of my sister and her mother.  To be a part of working toward the betterment of this community that we are linked to. I am nowhere near a talented enough writer to sufficiently describe the pride I have in my family and Eldedah. The pride I have in this community - the remarkable siblings; big sisters, little brothers; mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandmothers.

There's still more to do.  Come along for the ride.


In anticipation of the official website launch, shop Eldedah on Etsy and follow Eldedah on Facebook and Instagram (@shopeldedah) to keep up with the latest news and styles!

No comments:

Post a Comment