Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

El Dia de Julieta

I love Mexican culture.  Ever since I studied in the Yucatan in college, I've listened to Spanish music and attempted to recreate the dishes my host mom made me during my stay (if you're making quesadillas with anything other than queso Oaxaca, you are seriously missing out).  Luckily, getting settled in Texas has given me greater opportunities to be exposed to Mexican culture and language, and to hang out with my new friend and personal Mexican liaison, Rudy.  Even luckier for me, Rudy shares my great love of Mexican pop music, so we got tickets for this past weekend's Julieta Venegas concert at the House of Blues (thanks for the tickets, Craigslist David)!  We got dolled up, had brunch at Villa-O (served by the lovely bartender Daniel), hit up Dish Cedar Springs for its last day, and roamed around until it was time for the show.  There's nothing I love more than exploring the city on a beautifully warm February day, something I'm quickly growing accustomed to and loving over the typically snowy, freezing Michigan days I'm used to.

Loving lacy, padding-free bras these days - my attempt at embracing my pre-pubescently sized chest :D

When your hair makes you nothing but mad, slap it on top of your head in a messy bun!

Necklace: Urban Outfitters (on sale, yay)
Top & Sweater: Silence and Noise (my favorite, go-to brand for flowy, comfy gloriousness)


Julieta Venegas is a goddess; she sings, plays the guitar, piano, and accordion.  The energy at her show was phenomenal, and, though my Spanish skills have waned, I've listened to enough of her music to sign along a bit.  It was my first trip to the House of Blues in Dallas, and it lived up to my memory of the brand from Chicago - a small enough venue to feel close to the performer but not so jam-packed that dancing wasn't possible.  The crowd was jovial and friendly, singing along for every song, my personal favorite being "Me Voy" and "El Camino." 

Now I can't wait for March's Natalia LaFourcade show, and my next batch of quesadillas!

No comments:

Post a Comment