Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Signs of Bravery

I recently watched the documentary Girl Rising, and a line from one of the girl's stories really struck me:

In a breath we can decide between what we wish to be true and what we can make happen. 

I have been struggling a lot lately with working too much, not taking care of myself properly, not seeing my family, and just being generally overwhelmed.  I've been bogged down and slipping into a state of mind that I don't like getting into - I've been working this past year on thinking more positively, stepping back from situations, and looking at the bigger picture.  That's been a challenge for me recently.

I have to remind myself that it took a lot for me to do this.  I've only been in Texas three months.  I immediately began working, and now I'm working two jobs.  But, I'm in my own place.  I am here.  I took that first step.  It's not bravery that will change the world, but this decision will lead to more for me.  Something beautiful and good is going to come from this.

I can sit and wish and hope that my situation here will change.  That I'll get my dream job.  That I'll have more regular hours and can see my family more often.  That I can have time off to explore the city and the money with which to do so.  But wishing and doing are two very different things.  A very dear friend and I had a really great talk the other day, and she reminded me of my strengths.  She also told me, "Great things are going to happen to you and I want to know you when they do."  These are the reminders I need and these are the reasons I am so thankful to be surrounded by so many wonderful people who bring out the best in me.

For me, this is just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment